When traditional outpatient therapy falls short in addressing mental health concerns, you need to explore alternative options. While inpatient hospitalization is a common solution, it can be costly and highly restrictive. In response, healthcare organizations have developed partial hospitalization programs (PHP) as an intensive treatment alternative for individuals that require comprehensive mental health care.
What is a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)?
Partially hospitalized patients (PHPs) receive comprehensive treatment for mental health disorders and substance abuse problems. It operates for several hours daily, three to five days per week.
Patients engage in the scheduled treatment sessions during the daytime and return to their homes in the evenings. As such, this program can serve as a transition from round-the-clock care in a psychiatric hospital (inpatient treatment) or be utilized as a preventive measure to avoid the necessity of a hospital stay.
What are the Goals and Objectives of PHP?
The primary objectives of a partial hospitalization program (PHP) are to stabilize individuals experiencing acute symptoms, develop effective strategies for coping, and improve overall functioning.
The PHP aims to achieve these goals through the following objectives:
- Providing a secure and structured environment for individuals to address their mental health or substance abuse concerns.
- Delivering therapy and treatment interventions that are customized to meet specific patient needs.
- Teaching and reinforcing skills essential for preventing relapse, regulating emotions, and enhancing coping mechanisms.
- Collaborating with the individual’s support system, including family members, creates a supportive and healthy environment.
- Assisting individuals in transitioning to less intensive levels of care as they progress toward recovery.
Who Can Benefit from a Partial Hospitalization Program?
Partial hospitalization programs can benefit individuals grappling with various mental health conditions or substance abuse disorders. Here are the few groups who can reap benefits from PHP:
- Individuals with significant difficulties in their day-to-day activities.
- Individuals transitioning from inpatient care.
- Individuals seeking intensive care.
- Individuals looking for skill-building components.
What are the conditions treated with PHP?
These programs are particularly effective in addressing needs such as:
- Depression and anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Eating disorders
- Substance abuse or addiction
- Dual diagnosis involving co-occurring mental health and substance abuse disorders
How is Suitability for PHP Determined?
Patients with severe mental health conditions who require a higher level of care should consider PHP programs. It involves those patients whose symptoms may not be adequately managed or improved through regular outpatient therapy sessions or meetings with a psychiatrist.
A PHP program may be an alternative to inpatient hospitalization in certain situations. In addition, it can serve as a “step-down” option after being discharged from the hospital or a residential program. This gradual transition allows you to readjust your daily life with ample support.
However, the recommendation for PHP must come from a healthcare professional. If your provider determines that PHP is suitable for you, it is likely because they recognize the following:
- Your mental health needs a higher level of care.
- You will likely benefit more from PHP treatment.
- The treatment provided through PHP will aid in restoring your regular functioning or help prevent relapse.
Components of PHP: What to Expect from a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)?
Partial hospitalization programs (PHP) offer a structured and tailored treatment experience to meet your specific needs. It involves various therapeutic activities and support licensed mental health professionals provide. These activities may include:
- One-on-one counseling or therapy sessions
- Group therapy
- Skills training to enhance coping mechanisms
- Medication management
- Educational classes to foster personal growth
- Nursing or physical healthcare services
- Care coordination to ensure a holistic approach to treatment
- Aftercare and relapse prevention planning
- Family therapy strengthens relationships and promotes healing
- Creative therapies like music or art therapy engage the mind and encourage self-expression
The scheduling and programming specifics can vary depending on the treatment facility, but most centers utilize various therapeutic techniques. These techniques range from traditional therapies such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to alternative methods like trauma-sensitive yoga, providing diverse treatment options to cater to individual preferences and needs.
Benefits of the Partial Hospitalization Program
The primary benefits of Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHPs) include the following:
Access to Intensive Treatment without Residential Stay
One of the notable advantages of PHPs is the ability to remain in an outpatient setting while receiving high levels of treatment.
Affordability Compared to Inpatient Treatment
Compared to residential treatment, which includes accommodations and continuous monitoring, PHPs offer a more cost-effective option. Despite being more affordable, PHPs still provide intensive care for addiction. A PHP is a suitable alternative if residential treatment exceeds your budget but requires substantial support.
Comprehensive Treatment on a Convenient Schedule
Concerns about the adequacy of outpatient treatment for severe addiction can arise. Partial hospitalization programs address concerns about the adequacy of outpatient treatment for severe addiction by encompassing all crucial elements of inpatient programs, such as individual, group, and family counseling. With PHPs, you attend sessions five days a week for four to six hours, ensuring intensive support during the challenging initial stages of recovery. Additionally, PHPs allow you to spend weekends and evenings with family at home while fulfilling your responsibilities.
Ideal Option for Transitioning from Inpatient Care
After the residential treatment, a less intensive level of care is crucial to maintaining sobriety. As the most intensive outpatient program, PHPs facilitate a gradual shift to lower levels of support. This continued assistance helps prevent relapse and enables the development of healthy life skills and the addressing challenges through therapy.
Application of New Skills in Everyday Environment
Residential treatment provides a controlled environment free from substances and daily stressors. However, returning home after treatment may expose individuals to triggers contributing to their addiction. PHPs offer a structured daytime environment where individuals can strengthen their resilience against relapse in their familiar surroundings. By practicing communication, stress reduction, and relapse prevention skills in their normal environment, participants can seek advice and support at the treatment center if faced with challenges.
Are Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHP) Effective?
Partial Hospitalization Programs are effective in treating mental health illnesses. The effectiveness depends on the individuals’ requirements, the program’s quality, and the participants’ engagement. However, one can maximize the effectiveness of the program through:
- Comprehensive assessment – where individuals can take up the challenge of figuring out their needs and treatment goals.
- Tailored treatment plan – a summarized plan incorporating the diagnosed symptoms, strengths, and improvement areas.
- Collaborative treatment approach –inclusion of a supportive network and treatment team to provide feedback and achieve set goals.
- Continuity care – a solid aftercare plan meeting all the essentials for the required support.
The Average Cost of PHP Hospitalization
Depending on program factors such as the type of program and location, the cost of partial hospitalization programs (PHPs) can vary significantly. Daily expenses for PHPs range from $300 to $1,300, depending on various factors, including:
- Program duration
- Facility location
- Services provided
- Number of healthcare providers; and
- Insurance coverage and cost-sharing
How to Access a PHP?
How about starting a partial hospitalization program? If you want to access the partial hospitalization program, the following steps are involved:
- Consultation: Schedule an initial consultation with a mental health professional to discuss your concerns and determine the best level of care for you.
- Assessment: Undergo a thorough evaluation to assess your mental health condition, treatment requirements, and suitability for a PHP. This assessment helps determine if a PHP is the right fit for you.
- Program Selection: Choose a reputable PHP that aligns with your treatment goals and personal preferences. Consider factors such as program quality, treatment approaches, and available services.
- Insurance Verification: Verify your insurance coverage and understand how much your insurance plan covers the PHP.
- Admission Process: Complete the paperwork and procedures required for admission into the chosen PHP.
Consultations for PHP in Connecticut
New Era Rehab offers comprehensive consultations and treatment options if you seek a partial hospitalization program in Connecticut. Assisting you through the assessment process, choosing a program, and verifying your insurance will ensure you receive the necessary care, so contact us now!